My family and I enjoy eating a lot of fresh wild salmon. However, it is not always accessible for us so the next best thing is canned wild salmon. I’ve partnered with Gold Seal and created this super fun and delicious Japanese Style Wild Salmon Rice Burger. Not only is this Wild Salmon Burger loaded with calcium, Vitamin-D and Omega-3 but it’s super tasty! I added a fun twist and made a rice bun rather than using the traditional bread bun and ketchup and mustard have been replaced with Tonkatsu sauce and Japanese mayo.
I hope you enjoy them as much as we did!
JAPANESE SALMON RICE BURGER
BAKED WILD SOCKEYE SALMON PATTY:
1 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
1 Small Onion – grated
1 Garlic – finely minced
2 cans (340g) Gold Seal Wild Sockeye Salmon, Skinless / Boneless, drained
2 Green Onions – finely chopped
1 tsp Tonkatsu Sauce
2 Eggs – beaten
pinch each of Salt and Pepper
3.5’ round metal cookie mould
5 cups cooked rice – Jasmine or sushi rice
2 tbsp vegetable oil
Japanese Mayo* – Kewpie
Japanese Furikake* – Bonito & Egg flavour (optional)
*found at any Asian supermarkets
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SALMON PATTY:
Makes: 6-8 patties
1. Preheat oven to 430°f
2. Place breadcrumbs and grated onion- including juices in a bowl and mix well.
3. Add remaining ingredients except for salmon – mix well.
4. Add salmon – mixing gently so as not to break up the salmon too much. You want some
larger chunks in the patty.
5. Place metal mould on a greased baking tray and scoop in the mixture to make roughly a1″ thick patty. Lightly pat the mixture down. Lightly spray the top surface with oil. Repeat to make more patties.
6. Bake 13-15 minutes. Flip, spray surface with oil spray, bake another five minutes.
1. Heat greased griddle or large frying pan on med-high heat.
2. Use the same metal mould and place on griddle/pan (make sure the surface is hot) and
pack in cooked rice to make roughly a 1″ thick bun.
3. Cook until the bottom is lightly golden brown (3-4 mins), flip and repeat.
ASSEMBLING THE BURGER:
1. Rice bun, lettuce, salmon patty, drizzle Japanese mayo & Tonkatsu sauce, rice bun, and
sprinkle Furikake for extra crunch and flavour (this is optional).
This is a sponsored partnership with Gold Seal Canada.