2017 MDX Sport Hybrid specifications:
- The Acura MDX Sport Hybrid powertrain (gasoline and electric) boasts a total system output of 321 horsepower and 289 lb.-ft. torque.
- 3.0-liter, SOHC VTEC V-6 engine
- 7-speed dual-clutch transmission (7DCT)
- 4-mode Integrated Dynamics System with SPORT+ mode
- Sport Hybrid Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®)
Vehicle tested: $70,000
- Sport Hybrid model: fuel efficient – drove almost 600km on a tank of gas!
- Smooth and responsive handling
- 360 degree camera
- Tons of storage space
- GPS/touch screen is not user-friendly
I drove the Acura for a week and fell in love with it. It drove like a car, it was fast and responsive, and it was great on fuel. The MDX offers seating up to seven passengers with the option of converting the second row into captains chairs.
Next, I tested the 2017 Honda Pilot Touring Edition.
- Powertrain – The 2017 Pilot delivers an output of 280 horsepower and 262 lb.-ft. of torque.
- Double Moonroof
- 9-speed automatic transmission with Grade Logic Control
- Intelligent Variable Torque Management (i-VTM4™) AWD System
Vehicle tested: $50 000
- Ample room and storage.
- Second-row captains chairs
- Easy access to back seats
- Fun and easy to drive
- Double Moonroof
- GPS system was confusing to use
- Would like a little more horsepower
This roomy Honda Pilot offers seating up to eight passengers but the vehicle I tested had removed the standard three-row seating for two captains chair with a middle console storage so this seated seven passengers. The back third row (three seats) offered ample room for smaller adults or children.
Which SUV did I prefer? I preferred the 2017 Acura MDX Sport Hybrid. It drove similar to a car and had great fuel efficiency. I was amazed that I could drive almost 600km on a single tank of gas! I enjoyed the smooth and responsive handling of the MDX over the Honda Pilot. Everything you need in a luxury SUV was packed into this sleek and sexy Acura. I personally enjoyed the Acura MDX so much that I didn’t want to give it back.