Let’s celebrate Blueberry Pancake Day with Blueberry Orange Spice Pancakes!
Here’s a little history on B.C. Blueberries:
Do you know B.C. is the largest highbush blueberry-growing region in the world? In 2015 season, B.C. produced 73.5 million kilograms of blueberries alone. These super berries also contain antioxidants and substances called anti-inflammatories that are both linked to reducing the risk of age-related diseases. Half a cup of blueberries contains just 43 calories, is fat-free and is a good source of dietary fibre, Vitamin C and manganese.
BLUEBERRY ORANGE SPICE PANCAKE RECIPE:
1½ cups (225 g) B.C blueberries, fresh or frozen (do not thaw)
2 cups (275 g) All-purposeunbleached flour
3 tsp (15 mL) Baking powder
1 tsp (5 mL) Cinnamon
½ tsp (2.5 mL) Nutmeg
¼ tsp (pinch) Ground ginger
⅛ tsp (pinch) Ground clove
¼ tsp (pinch) Salt
2 large (100 g)
Eggs ¾ cup (180 mL) Milk
3 tbsp (45 mL) Unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3 tbsp (45 mL) Maple syrup
1 tbsp (15 mL) Orange zest, finely grated
¼ cup (60 mL) Orange juice, freshly squeezed
1 tsp (5 mL) Vanilla extract Vegetable Oil
• In a small bowl, toss 1 tsp of flour with the blueberries and set aside. If using frozen return to freezer.
• In a large bowl mix the flour, baking powder, spices and salt. Set aside.
• In another bowl whisk the eggs, milk, butter, maple syrup, orange zest, juice and vanilla.
• Stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture. Fold in the blueberries.
• Heat a ¼ tsp of vegetable oil in a non-stick pan over a medium low heat.
• Spoon a ¼ cup of batter into the heated pan, cook until golden on each side and serve immediately with fresh blueberries and maple syrup.
A BIG thank you to B.C. Blueberry Council for providing the ingredients to make these delicious pancakes.
Hope you enjoy them as much as we did.